"Pivot" - Gathering (1/9)
[The crowd] stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe.
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load.
“Burden” is a crushing weight.
“Load” is a weight you can carry.
caught in sin...
you who live by the Spirit…
restore… gently, with humility, without condemnation
-A “load” can quickly become a “burden.”
-Self-sufficiency and pride are of the devil. Don’t wait until you collapse to ask for help.
-It takes effort to build community.
-If you can show up and pray, you can be part of something cool.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion:
- How is “social distance” impacting you? How is it going carrying your own load? Is there anywhere you are experiencing a burden?
- What do you think of when you hear the term “the law of Christ?”
- Are you better at “living by the Spirit” or living by a set of rules?
- How can you both “gather around” and “social distance?”
- Who can you count on to gather around you? Who can count on you?